Welcome to episode 5 of season 3 of the Generous Marriage Podcast. In this episode we talk to David and Julie Bulitt.
David is one of the premier DC Metro family law attorneys, representing clients in high profile divorce cases since 1986. Julie is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with more than 25 years of experience working with families. She is also an in-house therapist at Discovery Channel.
Professionally, David and Julie have seen life’s most difficult challenges, including addiction, infidelity, mental and physical health diagnoses and trauma. At the same time, they have weathered their own challenges at home, married for 34 years, raising four daughters, two biological and two adopted, and dealing with one child’s addiction and mental health challenges. They have a unique insight on what it takes to maintain a marriage.
Here are the highlights of the episode:
- David and Julie wrote a book about the 5 core conversations for couples
- It has different sections that cover not only the ‘we’ part of the relationship but also the ‘I’ part of the relationship
- The book is based on a lot of conversations they had in the years they’ve been together
- Talking about hard things starts with talking about easy things
- There needs to be an I in Team – The importance of self-care for the relationship
- Living your life rather than managing your life
- Silence DOES NOT solve conflict
- The 5 Core Conversations for Couples
Bonus: 15 Conversation Kickstarters
David and Julie Bulitt generously share with us 15 conversation kickstartes so that you could get that conversation you prefer to avoid started…
Click the download button to get the free bonus.
Weekly episodes with stories, tools and research that will help you make your marriage generous
Shachar Erez, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, 12 years married, father of two
Ziv Raviv, 16 years married, father of three