Welcome to episode 6 of season 3, on the Generous Marriage Podcast. In this episode we talked to Zach Brittle, a couples therapist from Seattle, WA. He is a certified Gottman therapist and has worked closely to John Gottman, the famous couples researcher.
He has been happily married to Rebecca over 20 years, and they have 2 teenage daughters.
Zach’s latest book is the Marriage Therapy Journal which is a book and a course that offers 28 days of micro lessons to achieve better communication, less conflict, and more connection with your partner. You should definitely check it out!
We had a great conversation with Zach, packed with research based tips you can use to better your marriage today.
Here are the highlights of the episode:
- The basis of long term relationship is friendship
- 69% of the couple problems can’t be solved. When you focus on the solvable problem things get a lot easier
- In therapy we help couples learn how to have an effective dialogue
- The importance of making sex a priority
- Good couples have a Five to One ratio – five positive interactions to one negative interaction
- It’s important to learn where you get the best return of investment in your relationship
- Happy couple do small things often for each other
- The 6-second kiss
- The Magic 6 Hours
- Zach also introduces 5 kinds of intimacies to his clients – listen to the episode to know more
Bonus: The Marriage Therapy Journal
Zach is happy to share the first episode of The Marriage Therapy Journal.
Click the download button to get your free copy.
Weekly episodes with stories, tools and research that will help you make your marriage generous
Shachar Erez, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, 12 years married, father of two
Ziv Raviv, 16 years married, father of three